1621 Fisher Ave Ottawa Ontario Canada K2C 1X8 Tel. (613) 723-4657


Tower and Bells

Bells came into use in churches as early as the year 400, and their introduction is ascribed to Paulinus, bishop of Nola, a town of Campania, in Italy. Their use spread rapidly, as in those unsettled times the church-bell was useful not only for summoning the faithful to religious services, but also for giving an alarm when danger threatened. Their use was sanctioned in 604 by Pope Sabinian, and a ceremony for blessing them was established a little later. Very large bells, for church towers, were probably not in common use until the eleventh century.

In continuity with this ancient Italian tradition our parish has dedicated itself to completing the church with the installation of 4 bells that we have recently acquired from a church that has closed in Gatineau. We can not use our existing steeple since it is not capable of supporting the 2,500 Kg bell. The project of designing a new bell tower was entrusted to the architect Angelo Mattia Spadola.

He has designed an imposing free-standing structure, elegant in its simplicity, in keeping with the original design of the church.

BellsTower_01 BellsTower_03 BellsTower_04 BellsTower_05
BellsTower_06 BellsTower_07 BellsTower_08 BellsTower_09
BellsTower_10 BellsTower_11 BellsTower_12 BellsTower_13
BellsTower_14 BellsTower_15 BellsTower_16 BellsTower_17
BellsTower_18 BellsTower_19 BellsTower_20 BellsTower_21
BellsTower_22 BellsTower_23 BellsTower_24 BellsTower_25
BellsTower_26 BellsTower_27 BellsTower_28 BellsTower_29
Parish Bulletin
Project: tower and bells
Church Windows